Lead Engineer – Cooling & Conditioning
IN, Chennai | Professional | Full-Time | ID: 18180
Vestas is the world leader in wind technology and a main motivation in the development of the wind power industry. Vestas’ core business comprises the development, manufacture, sale, marketing, and maintenance of Wind Turbines. Come and join us at Vestas!
Aerodynamic & Mechanical > Nacelle Module > Cooling & Conditioning
Vestas Power Solutions is the cornerstone of Vestas. Through innovation, development and continuous product improvement we develop the products and technologies that reduce the cost of energy and bring the highest possible value to our customers and to Vestas. To put it short: Vestas Power Solutions develops the wind power systems of the future.
The Nacelle Cooling & Conditioning is a part of the Vestas Power Solutions and we have sites in both Denmark, Porto and Chennai. The department is responsible for the design and certification of the cooling units of the wind turbine including the integrity of its supporting structure.
In Cooling and Conditioning you will, as Lead Engineer, be accountable and responsible for generating creative solutions to design opportunities, in order to fulfill the product and technology road maps. You are accountable for the quality of own design work by providing robust, reliable and efficient design solutions with highest performance and lowest cost. It is essential to work closely with your team, suppliers and the value chain in order to deliver effectively on projects.
Your tasks can vary from complex development of new systems and concepts to implementation of improvements of existing products. You will be working in project teams supporting delivery on time with the right quality, knowledge sharing and ensuring a pipeline of new technologies. You will be supporting our system leads ensuring that we take the right decisions in our design.
A Lead Engineer is accountable for understanding, clarifying and documenting:
- Execution of projects from early concept study to production startup
- Design specifications/requirements from high level product specification down to component level
- Design and specify Liquid Cooling, Air Cooling and Fire Suppression Systems related components
- Drive co-development with suppliers specifying design requirements
- Review and Sign-off on design solutions and documentation
- Support in the formulation of technology project proposals relevant for functional area
- Define interfaces to the other systems
- Design functionality with value chain perspective
- Design performance and reliability including lifetime estimates of the design based on data
- Design verification and validation protocols
- Design risk associated to the design
- Design safety
- Deploy solutions into specific turbine developments
Leadership responsibilities include:
- Support strategic work and department development: both technical and behavioral
- Support implementation of business initiatives
- Understand the business and do what supports Vestas best across the value chain
- Act as role model and it’s natural for you to share knowledge, supervise, guide and advise your colleagues
Solid theoretical knowledge in design of cooling systems:
- 5-7 years of experience for example within wind industry
- A good understanding of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics
- Experience in conditioning units, fans, filters, cooler elements and cooling modules
- Knowledge about Fire Suppression Systems will be desirable
- Knowledge about data collection and analysis
- Experience with Systems Engineering will be an desirable
- Experience with project management, for example within Prince 2, will be desirable
- Experience in wind turbine design and 3rd party certification will be desirable
- Comfortable with taking decisions and being responsible for following up on it
- Good communication skills at all levels of the organization
- Structured and process oriented in the daily work
- Motivated but also a solid team-oriented person that can guide and delegate tasks and present his/her opinions
- High degree of personal planning and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability for, and interest in stakeholder management including coordination, planning and reporting
- Experience with component design and verification of the design
- Understands value chain development in collaboration e.g. sourcing, quality, manufacturing, transport, service and construction
- Knowledge of system engineering tools like DFMEA, requirement specifications etc.
You should be able to identify yourself with our values: Simplicity, Collaboration, Accountability, Passion
- Enthusiastic mindset
- Be enthusiastic
- Envision and live the Vestas brand